Our Boy

Our Boy
In California

Followers

Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Alarming Shower

So here I am in California sleeping in an abandoned hospital that is just totally spooky! When I am in different time zones I always try to keep my body on the same schedule, like I am back at home. It does seem to help with the time change. Needless to say, I wake up at the same time except there it is much earlier. I awoke at 4am California time so that I could shower and get over to the hospital before my boy awoke. They do not have accommodations there for parents to sleep. I go outside, greet the morning (hey wait it is still night), go back to my room and prepare my things for my shower. It is still pitch black outside and my room isn't much lighter even with the light on. Now this bathroom is not like your bathroom at home, or at a hotel. This bathroom was used for kids in wheelchairs that need adaptive seating when bathing. That being said the shower is the whole bathroom. There is no curtain, wall, or anything else to offer any sense of privacy. Ok, that is awkward but I just want to shower and get the heck out of this run down place. I take my soap, shampoo, conditioner, and towel into the bathroom with me. I decide I will keep my flip flops on! On this trip I have not brought my own towel but I did remember to grab some hospital towels while visiting my son the night before, they will have to do. I proceed to take my shower, and expecting only cold water am very relieved that it actually is nice and hot. I tell myself that I am going to try to forget that I am all out in the open and just enjoy this shower and allow it to totally wake me up and refresh me. Sounded good in theory.......then it happens....I have my hair totally covered with shampoo when I hear a God awful noise that I am praying isn't what I think it is - the fire alarm! I stop the water and look around and there are red lights flashing everywhere, you have got to be kidding me!!!!! Now there are still oxygen tanks stored in this facility so I decide I had better get out of there like right now! I grab my towel and my phone and run out of the bathroom, out my bedroom door, through the hospital corridor (lights and sirens going), finally out of the building. I have wrapped myself in my towel only to discover that it doesn't quite fit! Oh hell, these towels are for the kids in the hospital not some fairly overweight 5ft something tall adult. I try to calm myself down, after all, I have escaped from the building and if the fire gets to that oxygen, well, I am much safer out here. When I don't see any flames I do debate going in to throw on some clothes but I decide it is not worth the risk. After about 3 minutes of standing in the parking lot, lights and sirens louder than you have ever heard in your life I notice that no one is coming. No one! What the heck am I supposed to do stand here pretty much naked waiting for Jesus? Now I have my cellphone with me so I call over to the hospital, although I can see it I am certainly not walking over there with only half of a towel! I tell them that the fire alarm is going off and they state that yes, they can hear it (hello! do you think you might want to investigate, I dunno? Just a thought)I remind myself over and over that I am a Christian and that I need to keep my composure even if I am half naked over here. I kindly ask them if they can either call the fire department (which I thought these alarms did automatically) or please come check the building and turn the alarm off. They say they are on their way. Now here I am outside in the parking lot, shampoo still in my hair and now also my eyes, standing in a towel that would maybe fit around my 5 year old son and they send three young guys out to investigate. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!! I am humiliated but what can ya do, I know that I have to be sure there is no fire before going back in the building. The guys go in to check out the building when a car races into the parking lot, great let me just greet them while I am naked and soaking freaking wet. It is the director of the property, not the nursing home itself but the property. He asks me if I am ok and tells me that he knew the alarm went off. I should not have asked him, but for some reason I did, how did you know the alarm went off, weren't you at home? Once again I should not have asked him! He explains (and not even gently explains) that at home he was watching the surveillance videos and he saw me come running out of the building. Now I must admit I was very embarrassed but figured what can you do, until he told me that he knew there must have been a problem because I came running down the hall naked....that's right - I hadn't put my towel on yet! Now lets think - you can afford video surveillance but you are having me stay in an abandoned hospital, what the hell kind of sense does that make?

No comments: