Our Boy

Our Boy
In California

Followers

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Bringing Alexander Home

Hello and thank you for taking time to read my blog. The purpose of my writing is to explain the journey that my family and I are making to bring home Alexander. In this blog you will learn about myself, my husband, our children, and our soon to be son, Alexander who currently resides in a nursing home in California.

My name is Dawn, I am 35 years old and have four biological children. My husband, Joe, has two biological children. We have no children together and debated trying to get pregnant. We thought about this for a long while and went back and forth with the decision. For some reason the Lord led me to www.adoptuskids.org and there I saw such tragedy. I looked over hundreds upon hundreds of children that were currently in the states care. These children were from all over. I remember looking at them with my daughter and we both cried. The majority of these children were either teenagers or had severe medical issues. It was at that moment that my mind was made up. The Lord had already blessed me with four beautiful healthy children, and my husband as well. I spoke to my husband and he felt the same. We decided that at some point this was the way that we would go.

We were not immediately ready to start this journey and had several obstacles to overcome before we could even think about beginning. Finally we both knew that it was time to start preparing for everything and I contacted a local agency to begin our foster to adopt classes. I was very excited about this challenge and remembered the website that I had originally looked at. I knew that it was way too soon to start looking at "our" child, but thought that I would get a feel for the children that needed homes.

It was then, in September of 2009 that I locked eyes with Alexander, a three year old boy who resided in a nursing home. As I read a little more about him I learned that Alex had never lived in a home. This was his home. Yes the nurses there no doubt loved him, but he had no family, no place to call home, just a bed in the nursing home.

How is it that this precious, blonde hair, blue eyed baby had no one that wanted to just hold him, love him, and take him home?

I have no idea what called me to Alex, well yes I do, it was the Lord. There were tons of kids on the website that needed homes, all of them precious like my boy, but he was different. It was almost as if at that moment I knew that he was meant to be my son, and so the journey began.......

No comments: